Art & Sculpture Inventory

Photographs

Hungarian Garden Main Page

 

A rollover image of a recent and a historical photograph of the Ady bust.Endre Ady:  Hungarian Revolutionary Poet (1877-1919)

Endre Ady, legendary Hungarian figure of literature, was very prolific in his short life writing 1000 pieces of sensual love, revolutionary, and religious poetry.   “His expression was radical in form, language and content, mixing eroticism, politics, and biblical style and images with apocalyptic visions”(kirjasto.sci.fi/ady).

Born in Ermindszent, Austria-Hungary (now Romania) in 1877. At the age of nine he attended the local Calvinist school.  In 1899, at age 22, Ady published his first work Versek (Verses).  In 1903 he published his first significant volume of poetry, Még egyszer.  After the 1905 Revolution his thinking radicalized and was depicted in his next book, Új versek (1906), after which Ady made his breakthrough as a poet, and initiated a revolution in Hungarian literature”(kirjasto.sci.fi/ady).

Endre Ady worked as a foreign correspondent for Budapest papers, such as Budapesti naplón, between the years 1908 and 1919 he was closely associated with the journal Nyugat.  Endre Ady died in Budapest on January 27, 1919 from pneumonia (kirjasto.sci.fi/ady).

The bronze bust of Endre Ady was dedicated to the Hungarian Cultural Garden on May 23, 1954 presented by Rev. Francis Ujlacki to Mayor Celebrezze as a gift to the city.  The bust was made by sculptor Mihaly DeKatay of New York, and was sponsored by the Hungarian Reform Federation of America, whose headquarters were in Washington (Cleveland Plain Dealer Morgue, Cultural Garden to Get Bust of Hungarian Poet. May 18, 1954).

Photographs:

Ady’s statue in the Hungarian Cultural Garden

Photographs of the Garden

Further Reading:

For biography including samples of poetry

More samples of poetry

The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. 

Online biography.

Cleveland State University, Special Collections Library.

Lederer, Clara.  Their Paths are Peace: The Story of Cleveland’s Cultural Gardens, (1954) pg. 63.