INDIA EXPERIENCE: Realization of a dream
During our meeting with them, we felt more comfortable. Their enthusiasm in singing and participating was really great to witness. I feel like I can accept that we may be different and that shouldn't come between anybody.
The younger students were so full of life. At lunch, they giggled and joked around like many 18 and 19 year olds do. During the presentation, one girl sang a Malayalam song beautifully. After a discussion, we split into groups. Many of the students were shy.
St. Xavier's College was so beautiful. Looking out the lunch room window, we could see students walking among coconut trees and various plants, walking along a sandy path, on the most beautiful clear day. We thought about the tasty mangoes we had for breakfast and we thought about the beginning of the book Siddhartha. Young Siddhartha sat under a mango tree while his mother was washing clothes outside. The descriptions were so vivid and the imagery was so beautiful.
While at St. Xavier's, we peeked on some students preparing a dance to a film song which was to be performed at a program. The girls and the boys in the group usually remained separate. They said in their free time, they usually read or watch TV, and girls don't usually play cricket (form of Baseball).
Being in India and actually experiencing life here helps us learn so much better than just reading or attending a lecture. We learn for ourselves at our own paces. Whatever we want to know, we can ask and find out. Writing in the journal also helps us to process and remember things too. Here, we are not only learning about India and Kerala, but also about life.
"Went to St. Xavier's college and our company was well appreciated. There were warm smiles from all the students and we really felt welcomed."
"I met my host family and they were just phenomenal. They welcomed me in their home and insisted on my comfort. Their generosity was unmatched, the way they took care of me as a total stranger. As a family, there is obviously a strong bond, as after praying together they greet each other. This was a very unique experience"
"Loyola seminary students & Staff were refreshing; beautiful environment to contemplate God."
St. Xavier's students too young; soccer team made me very homesick. My son spent most of his first 18 years playing soccer. My husband coached a state championship team. My host family is just the greatest !! "
"St. Xavier's College campus was beautiful. The seminary students were so eager to learn about us and they were so enthusiastic in their singing. The college students were all so full of life and sweet. We learned a lot from them just by observing their non verbal gestures as well as discussions."
Kathleen M Jelen
My host mother made me feel very at home when she told me that I was just like her daughter. I am glad that I had a chance to study with a family and see what they do in their everyday lives "
"The students at St. Xavier's College were very intelligent. They had majors like Physics and Chemistry. You can tell that they are dedicated to getting their education. I noticed that there were more females than males studying at college."
"I stayed with my host mother Girija. My stay with her was very informative. I learned the selection process for a bride from her. She is looking for a bride for her son"
"I spent my first overnight stay with a host family today. At the residence of K. Sivaramakrishnan Nair, I was welcomed by his wife and child. They provided me my own room and bathroom. That was very generous."
Jarrod D Gray
"Coming from a society whose culture strives for wealth in order to indulge the senses, only Kerala has provided me with true contentment. The lives of which no pay check has ever provided before"
to the Photo Session
CSU group at an inter-action session with Jesuit seminary students
2. Rev. Fr. Dominic addressing the group
3. Sarah M Gallop addressing the Jesuit group
4. Vincent Shoham addressing the Jesuit group
5. Jarrod D Gray addressing the Jesuit group
6. Erin Bracken addressing the Jesuit group
7. Kerrian Walters addressing the Jesuit group
8. Kathleen M Jelen addressing the Jesuit group
9. Kristin Burney addressing the Jesuit group
10. Elise Karberg addressing the Jesuit group
11. Barbara Maxwell addressing the Jesuit group
12. Jesuit students singing a song in honor of CSU students
13. Vincent Shoham presenting a Certificate to Fr. Dominic
14. Jarrod D Gray with students sharing lunch
15. Vincent Shoham in discussion with students
16. Elise Karberg and Gretchen Martin sharing lunch with students
17. Kathleen M Jelen with students in College Canteen
18. Sarah M Gallop and Kristin Burney with students in College Canteen
19. Erin Bracken and Sarah M Gallop with students
20. Barbara Maxwell and Kerrian Walters with students
21. Erin Bracken with a faculty of Jesuit seminary
22. Kerrian Walters with her host family
23. Jarrod D gray with his host family
24. Erin Bracken with host family
25. Gretchen Martin with host family
26. Barbara Maxwell with host family
27. Another snap of Barbara Maxwell with host family
28. Jarrod D Gray and Kerrian Walters at Loyola Extension Services
29. Barbara Maxwell and Erin Bracken with student of St. Xavier's College
30. Vincent Shoham with St. Xavier's College students
31. Erin Bracken with students of St. Xavier's College
32. Erin Bracken and Vincent Shoham with students of St. Xavier's College at their campus
33. Elise Karberg with the students of St. Xavier's College
34. Jarrod D Gray with students of St. Xavier's College
35. Sarah M Gallop, Kerrian Walters and Kathleen M Jelen with St. Xavier's College students
36. Sarah M Gallop presenting a certificate of appreciation to the College principal
37. Kathleen M Jelen singing with the students of St. Xavier's College
38. CSU students interacting with St. Xavier's College students
39. St. Xavier's College students attending a session with CSU students
40. Vincent Shoham talking to St. Xavier's College students
41. Elise Karberg addressing the group
42. Gretchen Martin addressing the group
43. Kristin Burney addressing the group
44. Barbara Maxwell addressing the group
45. Jarrod D Gray addressing the group
46. Kerrian Walters addressing the group
47. Kathleen M Jelen addressing the group
48. St. Xavier's College students attending the meeting
49. Another snap of St. Xavier's College students attending the meeting
Back to Summer 2001