342 Stilwell Hall
Department of Electrical and
1960 East 24 Street
Phone: (216) 687-2127
Fax: (216) 687-5405
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering,
M.S. Electrical Engineering,
B.S. Electrical Engineering,
Member of the Faculty, Department
Postdoctoral Research Fellow at
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
1990, Assistant Professor, 1995,
Associate Professor, 2002, Professor, Department of Electrical and
1995 to 2000, Chairman of Department Graduate Program Committee.
Bandwidth- and power-efficient modulations, modulations for satellite communications, diversity techniques for modulations in fading channels, pragmatic approach to soft decision decoding of linear block codes, orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM), synchronization for OFDM, channel estimation and equalization for OFDM, multi-input-multi-output (MIMO) systems, and space-time codes.
Sponsored Research Projects
“Programmable, variable rate and multi-mode MODEM/CODEC
at Ka Band for Advanced Communications Technology Satellite (Hardware design
“Modem/Codec techniques in satellite communications”,
NASA Lewis Research Center,
“Intersatellite Link Techniques”,
“Power Efficient Reflectarray System
“Synchronization Study in
1. Min Jin, “A small terminal for satellite communications,” Master’s thesis, 1993.
2. Maissah Saoud, “Convolutional coding with DPSK for meteor burst communication systems,” Master’s thesis, 1993.
3. Sachin Bhatmuley, “Performance of MHPM in Rician and Rayleigh fading mobile channels,” Master’s thesis, 1994.
4. Vivek Shivanada, “Performance of MHPM in the presence of adjacent channel interference,” Master’s thesis, 1994.
5. Bill Thesling, “Efficient block decoding algorithms exploiting channel measurement information,” Doctoral dissertation, 1995.
6. Dong Wu, “Multi-symbol differential detection of p/4QPSK in land mobile satellite communications channels,” Master’s thesis, 1995.
7. Arafat Al-Dweik, “Noncoherent ASK-OFDM modulation for frequency hoping multipath channels,” Doctoral dissertation, 2001.
8. Yin Fang, “EEG measured brain activation during concentric and eccentric muscle contractions,” Doctoral dissertation, (Co-advisor: Dr. Guang Yue, Cleveland Clinic Foundation.), 2001.
9. Haiying Deng, “FPGA implementation of coherent MASK-OFDM system,” Master’s thesis, July 2001.
11. Vishu Suvarna, “ICI due to multipath effect and its estimation and correction in multipath fading channels for ASK-OFDM,” Master’s thesis, May 2003.
12. Mukul V. Gandhi, “Coding for coherent ASK-OFSM systems,” Master’s thesis, Dec. 2004.
13. Stanley Pinchak, “Robust symbol timing for Mobile Aeronautical Satellite Communication Systems,” Master’s thesis, May 2004.
14. Huaihai Guo, “MASK-OFDM modem design for the 5 GHz Microwave Landing System,” Master’s thesis, in progress, since 2004.
15. Vijay Normula, “Channel estimation and equalization of the MASK-OFDM modem for the 5 GHz MLS Extension Band” Master’s thesis, in progress, since 2004.
16. Ying Yang, “Carrier synchronization of the MASK-OFDM modem for the 5 GHz MLS Extension Band,” Master’s thesis, in progress, since 2004.
17. Sai Mantripragada, “Symbol synchronization of the MASK-OFDM modem for the 5 GHz MLS Extension Band,” Master’s thesis, in progress, since 2004.
18. Song Cui, ''Modulation and Multiple Access Techniques for Ultra-Wideband Communication Systems," Doctoral dissertation, Nov. 2011.
19. Tianning Shen, ''Experimental Study of Multi-Rate Margin in Software Defined Multi-Rate Radio,'' Master’s thesis, Dec. 2009 (co-advisor: Chansu Yu).
Digital Modulation Techniques, 2nd Edition, 1046 pages, Artech House, April 2006. (http://www.artech-house.com)
Digital Modulation Techniques (654 pages), Artech House, Boston/London, 2000. (Artech House is a well-known publisher specialized in communication, radar, radio, television, and microwave technologies.) (http://www.artech-house.com)
Digital Phase Modulation and Demodulation,
in Encyclopedia of Telecommunications, Editor, John Proakis,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc,
Amplitude Shift Keying in Encyclopedia of RF
and Microwave Engineering, Editor, Kai Chang, Texas A&M University,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc,
For a complete list of publications, access the following: Publications
Last updated: March 31, 2005