CIS 632/ EEC 687 - Mobile Computing (Fall 2016)
Chansu Yu, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: FH 331, phone: 2584
Download here (including syllabus, grading policy, labs, course schedule, etc.)
■ Aug 29 (M) Overview of Mobile computing
■ Aug 31 (W)
o MC platform #1: Indoor localization
o MC platform #2: BioRadio
■ Sep 5 (M) No class (Labor Day)
■ Sep 7 (W)
o MC platform #4: USRP/GNU Radio
§ Test lab note: Lab procedure
o MC platform #5: Ns-2 network simulator
■ Sep 12 (M) Mobile communication
o Reference: Overview of DSSS
■ Sep 14 (W) Outdoor localization (GPS) (revised 9/15/16)
o Reference1: GPS spoofing
o Reference2: GPS and Drone
■ Sep 19 (M) Indoor localization (revised 9/15/16)
■ Sep 21 (W) Mobile security
■ Sep 26 (M) Project progress report (Group A, 20+ minutes, 5+ pages report)
o Varil Patel and Dharin Patel: Indoor localization
o Gargey Dholariya and Sonali Patel: Google VR Cardboard
o Bhaumil Patel and Steve Jordan: USRP/GNU Radio
o Naveen Baskaran, Haris Chokkalingam, and Santosh Tankala: Smart PC
■ Sep 28 (W) Project progress report (Group B, 20+ minutes, 5+ pages report)
o Yash Joshi and Divyesh Parekh: Ns-2 network simulator
o Qing Wu and Himanshu Sharma: BioRadio
o Arpit Patel and Jaimal Bhairavia: Google VR Cardboard
o Raag Kharadi and Harshil Mehta: USRP/GNU Radio
o Sruthi Kadaveru and Subhasree Neela: Smart PC
■ Oct 3 (M) Mobile security
■ Oct 5 (W) Wireless PHY and LINK layers
■ Oct 10 (M) Wireless PHY and LINK layers
■ Oct 12 (W) Project progress report (Group A & B, 10+ minutes, 5+ pages report)
■ Oct 17 (M) No class (ABET team visit)
■ Oct 19 (W) Low power design
■ Oct 24 (M) Midterm presentations (Group A, 20+ minutes, 10+ pages report, +15 slides)
■ Oct 26 (W) Midterm presentations (Group B, 20+ minutes, 10+ pages report, +15 slides)
■ Oct 31 (M) IP Software: Routing
■ Nov 2 (W) Mobile IP
■ Nov 7 (M) Mobile IP
■ Nov 9 (W) Project progress report (Group B & A, 10+ minutes, 5+ pages report)
■ Nov 14 (M) MANET
■ Nov 16 (W) TCP Software: Reliable delivery
■ Nov 21 (M) TCP in Mobile networks
■ Nov 23 (W) Project progress report (Group B & A, 10+ minutes, 5+ pages report)
■ Nov 28 (M)
■ Nov 30 (W)
■ Dec 5 (M) Final presentations (Group B, 20+ minutes, 10+ pages report, +15 slides)
■ Dec 7 (W) Final presentations (Group A, 20+ minutes, 10+ pages report, +15 slides)
■ Dec 14 (W) Project demonstration (final week)
Lectures (to be scheduled)
■ Mobile wireless propagation, Physical & link layers
■ Mobile security
■ Low power design
■ Wifi and WLAN & Mobile ad hoc networks (MANET)
■ Bluetooth and Personal area networks (PAN)
■ Wireless sensor networks (WSN) and Body area networks (BAN)
■ GPS & Indoor localization
■ Homework #1: Write 1-page report on the following paper. (The same formatting rule applies.) Due: Before class on Sep 7 (W): M. Weiser, Some Computer Science Issues in Ubiquitous Computing, CACM, July 1993. (http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spring99/cs598c/papers/p75-weiser.pdf)
■ Homework #2: Write 1-page report on the following paper. (The same formatting rule applies.) Due: Before class on Sep 19 (M): N. Vallina-Rodriguez, J. Crowcroft, A. Finamore, Y. Gruneberge, and K. Papagiannaki, When assistance becomes dependence: characterizing the costs and inefficiencies of A-GPS, ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review, 2013, 17(4): 3-14. (REFERENCE: J. Liu, B. Priyantha, T. Hart, H.S. Ramos, A.F Loureiro and Q.Wang, Energy efficient GPS sensing with cloud offloading, in ACM SenSys, 2012, pp. 85-98.
■ Homework #3: Write 1-page report on the following paper. (The same formatting rule applies.) Due: Before class on Sep 28 (W): A. Cerpa, et al., "Habitat monitoring: Application driver for wireless communications technology," SIGCOMM Workshop on Data Communication in Latin America and the Caribbean, 2001.
■ Homework #4: Write 1-page report on the following paper. (The same formatting rule applies.) Due: Before class on Oct 17 (M): M. Weiser, B. Welch, A. Demers, and S. Shenker, "Scheduling for Reduced CPU Energy," SOSDI, pp 13-23, Nov. 1994.
■ Homework #5: Write 1-page report on the following paper. Due: Before class on Nov 2 (W): David B. Johnson, David A. Maltz, Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks, Mobile Computing, editor T. Imielinski and Hank Korth, Kluwer, 1996.
■ Homework #6: Write 1-page report on the following paper. Due: Before class on Nov 21 (M): RADAR: An In-Building RF-based User Location and Tracking System, Paramvir Bahl and Venkata N. Padmanabhan, Microsoft Research, IEEE Infocom, 2000.
Readings for future homework
1. J. Hill, et al., System Architecture Directions for Networked Sensors, ASPLOS-IX, 2000.
2. A. Bar-Noy, I. Kessler, M. Sidi, Mobile Users: To Update or not to Update ?
3. J. M. Kahn, R. H. Katz and K. S. J. Pister, "Next Century Challenges: Mobile Networking for Smart Dust," MobiCom 1999.
· G. J. Pottie and W. J. Kaiser, "Wireless integrated network sensors," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 51-58, May 2000.
· Mobile Information Access, IEEE Personal Communication, Feb. 1996.
· Xirrus, 802.11a/b/g Demystified, http://www.xirrus.com/pdfs/Tutorial_802.11abg.pdf, 2008 (excluding page 9).
· Jim Zyren and Al Petrick, Tutorial on Basic Link Budget Analysis, Intersil Application Note, June 1998.
· W. Ye, J. Heidemann, D. Estrin, An Energy Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks, Infocom, 2002.
· The Universal Handset, IEEE Spectrum, April 2009 (http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/embedded-systems/the-universal-handset)
· P. Bhagwat, Bluetooth: Technology for Short-Range Wireless Apps, IEEE Internet Computing, May/Jun. 2001.
· Urban Computing with Taxicabs Yu Zheng1 , Yanchi Liu1,2, Jing Yuan1 , Xing Xie, UbiComp'11 (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2030126)
Previous class projects
· Dan Levtonyuk, Emanuel Papp, Xiang Li, BER Performance of DSSS Technique under Periodic Jamming - Mid-report
Example class projects
Maintained by Chansu Yu (email@example.com)