Fall 2013 Course
Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
M.S. (in Electrical and Computer
M.S. (in Physics),
B.S. (in Physics),
The goal of my research is to investigate ways of building highly dependable and secure distributed systems. Over the past several years, my focus has evolved from building fault tolerance systems using reliable group communication toolkits, to the integration of replication and transaction processing, to state machine replication based on the Paxos algorithm, and to Byzantine fault tolerance. Very recently, I started to investigate alternative approaches towards intrusion-tolerant systems that can withstand both hardware failures and malicious attacks.
For details, please visit my research page.
· Low Latency Fault Tolerance System, Wenbing Zhao, P. M. Melliar-Smith, and L. E. Moser, The Computer Journal, vol. 56, no. 6, 2013, pp.716--740.
· Trustworthy Coordination for Web Services Atomic Transactions, H. Zhang, H. Chai, W. Zhao, P. M. Melliar-Smith, and L. E. Moser. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. Vol.23, No.8, 2012, pp.1551--1565.
· Toward Trustworthy Coordination for Web Services Business Activities, H. Chai, H. Zhang, W. Zhao, P. M. Melliar-Smith, and L. E. Moser. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing. Vol.6, No.2, 2013, pp.276--288.
· Design and Implementation of a Byzantine Fault Tolerance Framework for Non-Deterministic Applications, H. Zhang, W. Zhao, L. E. Moser and P. M. Melliar-Smith. IET Software, vol. 5 no. 3, 2011, pp. 342-356.
Practical Intrusion Tolerant Systems: A Blueprint, Wenbing Zhao, in Proceedings of the Cyber Security and Information
Intelligence Research Workshop,
· Fault Tolerance Middleware for Cloud Computing, Wenbing Zhao, P. M. Melliar-Smith, and L. E. Moser, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing, Miami, FL, July 5-10, 2010, pp. 67-74.
· Proactive Service Migration for Long-Running Byzantine Fault Tolerant Systems, Wenbing Zhao and H. Zhang, IET Software, vol. 3, no. 2, April 2009, pp. 154-164.
· A Reservation-based Extended Transaction Protocol, Wenbing Zhao, L. E. Moser and P. M. Melliar-Smith, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 19, no. 2, February 2008, pp. 188-203.
Honglei Zhang (D.
· Hua Chai (D. Eng., ongoing; MSEE, Dec 2009)
· Biran Krupp (D. Eng., ongoing)
· Srikanth Dropati (MSSE, June 2010)
· Bo Chen (MSEE, December 2008)
· Maulik Bhatt (MSEE, June 2006)
I am on the technical program committee for the following conferences. Please consider submitting papers to these events.
------------------------------------------------wenbing at ieee dot org or phone/mail