Franz Liszt, was born October 22, 1811 in Raiding, he was taught piano by his father Adam Liszt and was an established concert artist by 12 years old. Vienna, December 1, 1822 was his first appearance, received with great success (Lederer, Clara. Their Paths are Peace. p. 61).
Liszt’s works include Annees de pelerinage, b Minor Sonata, Faust Symphonie, as well as inventing the term ‘Sinfonische Dichtung’ (symphonic poem) for orchestral works. In 1861, he transferred his center of activity to Rome, where he concentrated on religious works, and teaching. His last appearance was at the concert of the Musical Society of Luxembourg. His death occurred on July 31 of that year (Boynick, Matt).
The site of the Hungarian Garden was dedicated on October 21, 1934, upon the occasion of the 123rd anniversary of the birth of Franz Liszt, with the unveiling of the bas-relief of the Hungarian composer (Lederer, Clara. Their Paths are Peace. p. 61).
The Liszt plaque in the Hungarian Cultural Garden is the work of John Tenkacs, Cleveland sculptor. The dedication program was opened by Louis Petrash, chairman of the Cultural Garden Committee. An ode to Liszt by Dr. Ladislaus Polya was recited by the author and a Liszt Rhapsody was played by the string ensemble of the Liszt Conservatory of Music (Lederer, Clara. Their Paths are Peace. p. 62).