Social History and History Project
The Thomas F. Campbell Seminar on the City
During the fall semester of 1998, the members of the Department of History unanimously voted to establish the Thomas F. Campbell Seminar on the City. In this way, the department chose to honor a friend and colleague whose name was synonymous with Cleveland - a man who dedicated his life to the study and betterment of his adopted city and to the practice of the discipline of history; who did both with integrity, wit and wisdom.
This designation is a singular act which recognizes the contribution which Thomas F. Campbell (1924-2003) made both to the University and the City of Cleveland. Prof. Campbell's life was intertwined with the history of this institution and this city. He was an important part of the development of CSU. His work to create Maxine Levin College of Urban Studies was legacy of which all can be proud. He helped guide the university through its early years and helped to shape it as an urban institution whose primary concern is to serve the citizens of the community.
His impact on CSU was great, but he may be best known outside the walls of CSU for his work to make Cleveland a better place. Believing in the involvement of the academy with the community, his work for many years with organizations such as the City Club and with the administration of the city and county has benefited all of us. Not comfortable with an ivory tower, he helped shape the community in which he lived. He used his skills and his wisdom to make our broader community a better place.
It is for all these reasons and more that the Department of History was pleased and honored to name the Seminar on the City series for Thomas F. Campbell.